Skip Navigation Buttons This page is Bobby AAA Approved Bobby WorldWide Approved AAA

BHAWD Mission Statement - To increase the access of women with disabilities to breast health information, screenings and early breast cancer detection


Click on this button to return to the BHAWD main home page   Click this link to go to the BHAWD vision statementClick on this image to get the latest news about Breast HealthClick this image to learn about BHAWDs programs and servicesClick here to go to links to other useful sites on cancer, breast health and general disability related data  Click here to go to information about current research in breast health issuesClick here to see a listing of frequently asked questions and their answersClick this link to learn how to donate to BHAWDClick this link to learn how you can volunteer at BHAWDClick on this link to go to the Public Policy section of the BHAWD web site.Click here to order BHAWD materialsClick this link to learn how wto contact BHAWD

HOME | VISION | NEWS | SERVICES & PROGRAMS | TOOLS & LINKS | RESEARCH | FAQ | DONOR INFO | VOLUNTEER | PUBLIC POLICY | BHAWD Order Form | CONTACT US | SITE MAP |

 

Clinic Services

Breast Health Access for Women with Disabilities (BHAWD) was founded in 1995 in response to the lack of access to breast health care for women with disabilities. It is a model of comprehensive breast health services tailored to the functional abilities and special needs of women with physical and vision impairments. It is a grant funded program and is a collaboration of community agencies such as Center for Independent Living, United Cerebral Palsy of the Golden Gate, Community Resources for Independent Living, and Alta Bates Summit Medical Center (Rehabilitative Services and Comprehensive Breast Center).

The key to the success of the project is the partnership between BHAWD and women with disabilities. Feedback that is provided about client needs is enabling BHAWD to further develop a national model of care that can be replicated elsewhere.

At the BHAWD clinic, women with disabilities, 20 years and older, are given free clinical breast exams, self-breast exam education and training, and referral for a mammogram, if appropriate. All BHAWD services are provided by a specially trained breast health nurse in an accessible exam room and in a universal accessible exam table. Translation services are also available. The referral mammogram site is also wheelchair accessible. The mammography facility will bill Medi-Cal, Medicare, and insurance.

BHAWD has limited funds to reimburse for transportation and attendant services. BHAWD staff will schedule exam and mammogram appointments.

To schedule an appointment, please call (510) 204-4866: BHAWD is located at the Herrick Campus, 2001 Dwight Way, Berkeley - 2nd floor.

If you have any questions, or would like to schedule a presentation for your staff and/or clients, or would like additional information, please call Flora Maiki M.A., BHAWD Manager (510) 204-4522: Fax (510) 204-5892.

Go to the top of this page

Medicare Coverage for Mammagrams

Medicare Part B pays for most of an annual screening mammogram for women with Medicare who are 40 or older.

 A screening mammogram is a preventive service for women with no signs or symptoms of breast cancer. You will pay the usual 20 percent copayment, and Medicare will pay the remaining 80 percent even if you have not met your annual Part B deductible, according to Medicare and You 2001, published by the HealthCare Financing Administration. Find this online at http://www.medicare.gov/..

Medicare Part B also helps pay for diagnostic mammograms as prescribed. A diagnostic mammogram is ordered to help diagnose where there are signs or symptoms of breast cancer.

Diagnostic mammograms are subject to a 20 percent copay ;and the Part B deductible. The Part B deductible is $100 for 2001 and is subject to change each calendar year.

For more information, Call 800-MEDICARE (800-633-4227) or check out their web site at http://www.medicare.gov/.

Go to the top of this page

Speakers Bureau

A trained presenter from Breast Health Access for Women with Disabilities (BHAWD) is available to talk about breast health issues/concerns and mammography for women with disabilities at one of your next meetings. There is no charge, and we promise it's enlightening and very interesting.

Do You Know

These are startling facts. We all know someone who has experienced breast cancer firsthand or has experienced it with a loved one. Get the facts from an informative and appropriate presentation on the subject.

If you would like to arrange for a speaker please submit our Speaker Request Form and we'll get in touch with you.

We request at least three weeks advance notice.

Go to the top of this page


HOME | VISION | NEWS | SERVICES & PROGRAMS | TOOLS & LINKS | RESEARCH | FAQ | DONOR INFO | VOLUNTEER | PUBLIC POLICY | BHAWD Order Form | CONTACT US | SITE MAP |